Wednesday, July 23, 2008

saying goodbye

Tonight I had to say good-bye to Jenny. She is leaving on Saturday for Bolivia to be a missionary for two years. I am sad to see her go and shed a few tears when I got in my car after leaving her, but mostly I am so excited about the Lord's plan for her in Bolivia. After going to Nicaragua this summer and reading about my friend, Marianne's, experiences in Peru while she is there as a missionary for a month, my excitement for Jenny has really grown.

Please keep her in your prayers and if you are interested in giving monetarily, she is still raising funds. Kelly put together a scrapbook of letters and pictures for Jenny. Here is my letter, this girl is amazing:

Dear Jenny,

I remember the first time I met you so clearly. I remember that sweet spirit from the beginning. It was December of 1993, and that was the night I met a precious little third grader that would eventually become my friend, my sister, and one of my role models. Then and now and all the times in between I have absolutely adored you. I am honored to not only know you but also to be blessed with our special relationship the Lord began all those years ago.

Now you aren't in third grade anymore and have quickly and beautifully grown into an exceptional young woman, a GODLY woman! It is really no surprise to me that I am getting ready to have to say good-bye to you as you go to serve our Lord Jesus in Bolivia for two years. My favorite things about you...your humble heart, your maturity in Christ, and your determination to follow the Lord's will for your life...are why I know you are going to be prepared to be the biggest blessing and to glorify the Lord in Bolivia.

The quality of humility is one of my favorites a person can possess, and you definitely possess it. You are selfless, you know how to apologize, and you give glory to God. With all the changes and struggles that are surely to come up over the next two years, your humble heart will definitely make it easier when you have to deal with unexpected inconveniences or common distractions.

For as long as I can remember, I have been amazed by your maturity in Christ. I remember first talking to Kelly about this when you were a freshman in high school. You stray from gossip, want to learn more more and more about your Lord, and you know the importance of confiding, sharing, and asking for advice. What a wonderful quality to have as a missionary in an impoverished country! The Lord has blessed you and given you everything you need to go over there and serve Him in maturity, which will bring peacefulness.

I am very serious when I say that there are very few people that I have met in my lifetime that have been so determined and dedicated to following the Lord's will for their life as you are. I hear it in our conversations and I see it in your actions. You have encouraged me and held me accountable with that unique quality more times and in more ways than you know. It is why you are even going to Bolivia and why you can go there in confidence.

The Lord has you ready....He has been preparing you since I met you in third grade and even before. He has taught you and prepared you through both celebrations and struggles. He has you taught many valuable lessons, and you have humbly listened to your Teacher. And because He is your Teacher, you are going to be a wise and wonderful teacher in Bolivia.

He has certainly made sure you are ready. I will be praying for you. I will be missing you. And I will be loving you.

In His humility and love,
Sara
Be strong and courageous...the Lord Himself goes before you and will be with you. Deuteronomy 31: 7-8

1 comment:

Jenny said...

sara, thank you so much for your sweet words of encouragement. i'm sorry i'm just now catching up on your blog! i love you so much. you are a huge blessing to so many people's lives.