Tuesday, July 22, 2008

grandpa perry

Just recently I got to spend a few hours with my grandparents. I always look forward to spending time with them for many reasons, but this time with them was even better than I anticipated. I could go on and on forever about all the reasons I love them, adore being with them, and admire and respect them. I will save that for another day.

Last fall my Grandpa was diagnosed with multiple myeloma, a cancer in which abnormal cells collect in the bone marrow and form tumors, commonly affecting elderly men. My Grandpa has always been one of the strongest men I know, if not the strongest. He has always taken care of my Grandma so sweetly, once comparing his love for her as Solomon loves his wife. He is probably the hardest working man I know. Even in his 70s, going to take care of the farm daily...and he does it so well and loves it. He is the most patient man I know. He is strong yet senstive...a perfect balance of the two. He loves the Lord and I have seen His faith grow rapidly over these later years of his life.

Over the past months I have seen and heard of my Grandpa struggle like I never have before. So sick and so tired. One week he felt good....the next week was a different story. Unable to go to the farm daily to do what he loved. In the hospital and unable to be with our family for our annual Christmas get-together. Unable to attend my sister's wedding in January. My grandparents have always seemed so young....they never seemed old. Even in their 70's, still doing things many in their 70's can't do...When I found out he had cancer, the reality of the fact that they aren't going to be around forever really sunk deep. I prayed about finding joy in this situation and that my family and my grandparents would do the same. I can't deny that it made me sad to see and hear about my Grandpa suffering, but the JOY in it all is that my Grandpa knows Jesus. He knows Jesus, and that's all he needs. It is so simple, yet so hard to grasp sometimes. I have learned a lot about the love and certainty of Christ through this experience, and I pray that the rest of my family has, too.
A few weeks ago, my Grandpa had another doctor's appointment. The doctor told him that the medicine was really working and he is now in remission! Isn't it ironic that the medicine that made him feel so awful is one of the things the Lord used to make him better?! Even though Grandpa will have this multiple myeloma for the rest of his life, it has been slowed down. His medicine, which is mostly what has caused him to feel so yucky, is now being lessened....It was so neat to see my Grandpa so much closer to his old self again when I spent time with him recently. It was so sweet to see my Grandma so excited that her best friend that she has taken care of so well over the past few months was finally starting to feel better. I am so thankful the Lord worked it out for me to go for a visit to spend this special time with my precious grandparents. It surely did my heart good. And no matter what the future holds for my Grandpa concerning this multiple myeloma, we can be joyful because Jesus is my Grandpa's future...his eternity.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great picture of your Grandparents. Glad to hear the good news about his cancer in remission and the Good News about his faith.
Anne H.

Anonymous said...

Sara-
I really enjoyed this blog. It makes me teary thinking about my grandpa. I remember how I felt when grandma told me that he couldn't come to our wedding. Like you said... your grandpa has nothing but happiness beyond our imagination after this life. Nothing is sweeter that knowing that the people you love are going to spend eternity with Jesus. It's the greatest gift!