Thursday, July 31, 2008

beautiful affectionate love


Today marks not only Mom and Dad's but also Carl and Beth's wedding anniversaries. These are two of the most precious marriages I know. I see such important similarities in these two marriages. Although there are definitely differences, some of my very favorite things about Mom and Dad's marriage, I now see in Carl and Beth's.

I was never one of those kids that did not like to see my parents show affection towards one another. In fact, it was the complete opposite feeling for me. I loved it. What a comfort it was for me to see my parents holding hands in the front seat of the car on family trips. Or seeing my Dad put his arm around my mom in the pew at church on Sunday mornings. Or my Dad giving my Mom a hug or a kiss in the kitchen before or after dinner. Or seeing them snuggle on the couch together at night while the TV was on....just being together. I love the way my Mom will just stay downstairs while my Dad is watching one sporting event on another ...even though she may have no interest in what he is watching whatsoever...or even if she is falling asleep on the couch....she is down there, just to be with him....just to be together...and Dad wouldn't have it any other way. And I love how just about every night they go to bed together. Then and now when I see these things, my heart is blessed. It is filled with such comfort. Such peace. Such thankfulness. Such joy. Bursting with love for them and love for my Father in heaven for this blessing in my life.


I see the same kind of things in Carl and Beth. I love that they give each other countless kisses even when others are around. I love that they often hold hands when walking side by side. I love that when we are all hanging out at Mom and Dad's they sit together, so closely, so sweetly. And I love that when we are at church, I look over and see them holding hands while hearing the Word and worshipping the One that created this precious love they have for each other. I love seeing these things, and I am so thankful that I do. Just like seeing my parents loving each other, the same feelings of comfort and joy fill my heart when I see my brother and his beautiful wife, my sweet sister, loving each other.


I praise Jesus for these marriages. I celebrate them every day, but especially today. I remember my parents love for each other then and now, and I remember Carl and Beth's wedding day four years ago...absolutely one of the happiest days of my life...and how their love has grown every day since. Thank You, Jesus, for the beautiful gift of these two loving and affectionate marriages. And thank you to Mom and Dad and Carl and Beth for blessing me with your constant and unending love for each other. Happy Anniversary!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Sara! That was so sweet, you made me cry! I love you!

Anonymous said...

I agree Sara, they love in such an amazing way! I feel so blessed to be able to witness it. Those marriages were my example for finding love. I love you all!!!!!

Life Glimpsed: The Denglers said...

that is just the sweetest. really.

Kathleen said...

i had the same feelings about my mom's and dad's affections toward each other.
You are such a thoughtful daughter and sister to both Davis couples.
I would love to see you sometime.

Melissa said...

I think it's great how you notice their love for each other. And how you celebrate it. It is such a miracle to see and feel such love, and to know that we only have it because of the One who has given it to us.