Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Quality Time with the Cox's...Sandwiched Between Two Important Birthdays...

Two of the most important women in my life just had birthday's...my Mom on Friday and my best friend, Kelly, on Monday.

On Friday night, my accommodating family agreed to meet me halfway in Wilson at Chili's to celebrate my Mom's birthday because I had to be at J.Crew at 8:30 Saturday morning.

For those that know me well, you know I like to ask the question, "What's your favorite thing about ______?" It is really such a positive question and helps you focus on the good things about people. (Well that is what I say to people like my sister, Rebecca, that tend to get increasingly annoyed by my questions). But anyway, one of my favorite things about my mom is that she is one of the wisest women I know. I love her simple advice, her motivation, and her quiet spirit. You see, my mom is very humble and she usually keeps most of her thoughts and feelings to herself. But, when she says something, I listen because I know it is important. So, mom, even though we may sometimes pick on you for getting certain words wrong or for some of your funny phrases, I am telling the truth when I say you are one of the wisest women in my life. You are such a blessing to me in so many ways. Happy 54th Birthday!! I love you!

On Saturday, after I left J.Crew, I met Marianne, Madeline, and Hayden Cox for a little bit of shopping around Southpoint. They came to spend the night with me and go to church with me on Sunday. This was an extra special time because they will be moving to Texas to be with Joe at the beginning of June. (See more on that story in a post to come later.) We had lots of fun while they were here. Madeline and Hayden are very funny kids. We laughed, talked, ate, went to Target (twice), drank milkshakes, went to the park in my neighborhood, went to church, and spent some time with Ashley. Lots of fun piled into less than 24 hours! In keeping up with the theme of my favorite things; here goes...

Marianne...She has the most gentle yet confident spirit of anyone I have ever met. She is one of the most peaceful people I have ever been around. She is one of my role models...She points me to Jesus.

Madeline...This 4th grader will tell you like it is. And she is not afraid to be different. These are two qualities I very much admire in her.

Hayden...He's in first grade, and I love his sweet little spirit. I love the way he will say the most random, sweet things. Like one time, when I hadn't seen him for a while, he gave me a hug and said, "I am so proud of you!" I also love the way he makes up funny words and I think it's really funny that he gave Rebecca the name "Kerchie."



Then, Monday night I drove to Greensboro after work to celebrate Kelly's birthday. Kelly, Charlie, Jenny, Madison, and I went to dinner together at Harper's Restaurant and then went to get ice cream at Ben and Jerry's! I am always so thankful for the time I get to spend with these friends of mine. They are the kind of friends that are just easy to be with, the kind of friends I can just be relaxed with. At one point when we were eating our ice cream, I blurted out, " I love hanging out with you guys." It was kind of random, but so simple and true. My favorite thing about Kelly is simply that she is my best friend. Our friendship is so constant and true. There is something so special in knowing that she was my best friend in 9th grade and that, if Lord willing we live to be 80, she will be my best friend then, too. We understand each other, we love each other's family and friends, and we are almost always on the same page about things. I love those qualities about our friendship. Happy 29th birthday, Kelly...what a blessing to have spent it with you and your family!


ADDITION:)...After re-reading my blog I realized that I didn't do my favorite thing about Kelly justice. I say that because I actually just described our beautiful friendship rather than describing her God-given gifts. She has many of them, but my very favorite would probably be her persistence. She may not believe this about herself, but the way she works so hard for people she loves and cares about and the way she stays up until late hours of the night working on projects to bless people inspires me in such a unique way. She is so delicate, so careful, so thoughtful in the things she does for people. And that is one of my very favorite things about my best friend. By the way, another favorite thing is that she has this precious little one year old of which I can take beautiful pictures like these.....

8 comments:

kelly said...

thank you sara! i love spending time with you also. i am so glad you came up for my birthday--it meant so much to me!

and that "tori"--she is one of my favorite people also. i love her quietness and her humor. i also love that she would do anything for anyone--she is always one step ahead with what someone needs. i am blessed to have gotten to know your family so well over the years. they are all incredible people and charlie and i are both so thankful that the davises are in our lives!

so...i will pose a question to all you other commenters..."What is your favorite thing about Sara?"

it is hard to narrow it down to only a few things, but my top three would probably be:
1. her faith--she has always been an example of a Christ-follower to me, but in recent years I have seen her grow so much in her boldness, her obedience, and her Godly wisdom
2. her silliness--sometimes she says or does things and we get tickled and i feel like we are still back in 9th grade. she is very well-loved by kids and by adults (because she helps remind them that they are all kids at heart)
3. her intentionality and her pursuitfulness. this girl always knows just when to call (or email or visit) and knows just what questions to ask. she makes her friends feel like they are the most special people on earth.

ok--your turn...

Anonymous said...

I agree with everything that you said about Mom, Marianne, Madeline, Hayden, and Kelly. They are all amazing people and some of the biggest blessings in my life.

I could never in a million words put into words my favorite things about my sister. She is an example in so many ways to me. She is an amazing friend and sister, she is constantly thinking of others, she loves Jesus more then anything else in life, she knows how to makes people laugh (which usually drives me nuts), she lives life to the fullest, she is confident and considerate, and she loves me in a way that no one else on the plant does. I consider her one of my heroes, and I love that my hero is able to be my best friend.

Charlie said...

sara! you're the best...thank you for driving up to the 'boro to hang out with us on Kelly's birthday.

kelly said...

i have 2 things to say. first, thanks sara for the added tribute--you are so sweet...and that sure is a cute baby:-) second, charlie did not follow the rules. he needs to post his favorite things about you. i will get on him about that.

kelly said...

ooh and i like the madras plaid:-)

Jenny said...

kay, charola, here's how it works. ;)
what i love about frucci:
1. her love for Jesus. no matter what she or others she cares about are going through, her consistency in loving the Lord has always been solid. when she says she's praying for me, i know she really is.
2. her counseling ability. she knows how to ask questions (which never annoys me...i love it!) that make me think. and she allows me to process through situations in talking with her. this is no less than a gift, and she uses it well.
3. her selflessness. she is always willing to give, whether that's time, buying a milkshake for someone, having people stay at her apartment, or giving really thoughtful gifts, she has an incredibly generous spirit that thinks of others before herself.
4. she is my second big sister. never in my dreams could i have imagined that my sister's cool best friend would end up being one of mine! the way that she has loved me over the past 13 years has blessed me more than i can express in words.

sara, i love you so much!

Sara said...

Thanks for the encouraging, humbling comments...Kelly, that you would ask others say their favorite things about me is just another reason why you are my best friend!!! And Jookey, I actually think it's been almost 15 years of friendship...Pretty cool, huh?

Anonymous said...

my favorite things about sara... where do i even start? well i absolutely agree with every other attribute everyone else has described so far so i won't be redundant and restate those. so another additional thing that sticks out to me is that sara is one the most constant, genuine friends i have ever had. she has always been (and no doubt always will be) this constant source of unconditional love and support in my life. i can call her anytime of day or night and she's there. she not only encourages me and listens to me but i know that she prays for me and that is invaluable.

and the genuine part means she is a real, loves-me-like-i'm-her family, unconditional friend. i can tell her anything. i can share my most deeply personal things with her without even thinking twice. nothing i could tell her would change her love for me. and i love that she's not afraid to call me out on stuff when i need it too. not many friends are willing to do that. and she's that kind of friend to many other people too which is nothing short of remarkable.

that is just a few reasons why i love my best friend sara