Friday, May 30, 2008

Every friend is unique....

Last Saturday night, my friend Shannon came from Greenville to spend some time with me. She has been listening to the sermons at my church, so she had been wanting to go with me one Sunday. (She also wanted to come spend time with me, of course :) When she got here, she, Ashley, and I took a walk at Lake Johnson and then went to dinner at Mimi's. Then Shannon and I went to get some ice cream and back to my house for a movie.


One of the things I love about my friendship with Shannon is that we can talk and talk without ever running out of things to talk about. Over ice cream and at my house before the movie, we had many thoughtful conversations. And another thing I love about Shannon is that she doesn't mind my questions at all. She appreciates that the reason I ask so many questions is to get to know people better and to understand every detail; she knows it's not just because i am NOSEY ;). I am so thankful for my conversations with Shannon. She makes me think and be thankful. We talked about how all friendships are unique; about how just because a certain friend may not be your "best" friend or a friend you have had forever, it doesn't mean that friendship isn't just as important. Shannon and I were in a very close-knit Bible Study together in Greenville before I moved to Cary. Even though these girls aren't the ones I have always called my "best" friends, they are some of the closest and most important friends I have ever had (and still have today!!). They were and continue to be some of the major people God has used to help shape my faith and strengthen it. So, even though 3 of the 6 of us have moved away from Greenville and another is moving next year, the distance doesn't matter because the Lord did something so special during our time together that we will forever be bonded and connected in Him. Spending this one-on-one time with Shannon also reminded of how special my individual friendships with each of these girls are. We aren't just friends as a group but individually, too. I think that is very unique within itself. Thanks, Shannon, for reminding me of the uniqueness of my friendships through our conversation. Thank you especially for reminding me to thank Jesus for all of my friendships, particularly the ones within our precious Bible Study. You can come back and visit me anytime! :)

This is one of my favorite pics of all of us from before Christmas when we had an ornament exchange at Emily's house. Top: Shannon, Rebecca, Marianne, Me; Bottom: Emily, Ashley

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate that picture of us, why is it your favorite, have you looked at my face.

Sara said...

rebecca, first of all, i think you look pretty. second of all, is that ALL you could say after reading my beautiful words about our bible study?!!

Shannon said...

Haha - Sara, I thought the same thing about Rebecca's comment. Thank you for your friendship and your thoughts. I love you and I love your blog. And I love hanging out with you!! PS - I think this is going to say "Ms. Vaughn" said this b/c I have a classroom account with blogspot to keep my kids posted. I don't know how to fix that, so just ignore it. Love you!! Shannon

Anonymous said...

sara. i love how thankful you are about the people in your life. you are indeed very blessed with so many people who love you and you never take that for granted. i love that about you.
love you! ~amy

kelly said...

becky bam, you are so weird. it is a pretty picture of all you girls.

sara, i'm thankful you have these special friends!